Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Suited.

Earlier I blogged about the fact that I was under the misguided impression that our relationship was perfect.  And because this is such a common statement in the infidelity world, I pondered whether there was actually such a thing as the "perfect couple."  I've done some thinking on this subject and came to an interesting conclusion...well, at least it's interesting to me!  Ha!

I believe that I was mistaken previously.  We did not, in fact, have a perfect relationship (obviously).  However, I do think that we were perfectly suited for each other in an unhealthy relationship.  The Mister has  been placed on a pedestal for his entire life.  I think he lept from the pedestal that his mom kept him on and on to the pedestal that I held for him.  He was comfortable stepping on a few people along the way because that's what he's done his whole life.  And I didn't object because I was used to sacrificing myself for the benefit of others.  So, we were a match made in heaven.

Through counseling, I am slowly becoming healthier.  I am improving my self-esteem and self-worth.  I have been able to identify when people are treating me in a way that I once allowed.  I am working on changing my reactions to these people, but it's a slow process.  Therefore, The Mister is also going to have to change for this to work.  Because our old patterns are no longer going to be acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment